1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
?Education began long before there were schools in ancient times, people through their children want they need to know for survival. Even now education takes many forms there is a formal education, which goes on it other setting?, the goal of education, its approach and methods have different from place to place. The great idea of an educated man for example, fit to be a leader of state was one who was mentally and physically well-balanced. The Romans placed emphasis on oratory and military training in old Africa, the aim of education was clear. Parent thought their children practical arts; faming trading rituals and other knowledge that relevant today ?today living. The apex of excellence on Africa society was typified by the notorious warrior?s successful farmer; brave hunters etc the secret cuts served as higher education institutions.
Today, with the introduction higher and more varied goals in modern university education, the method, of education organization, administration and management of student affairs, and authorities? relations in Nigeria has become unclear.
By western standards, the beginning of higher education for Nigerians date as far back as the time of the abolition of slavery and the resettlement of freed slaves in Free Town, Sierra Leone in 1787. The history of education in Nigeria is inevitably bound up with the history of missionary education. Christians played a major role in early education in Nigeria.
Yaba high college began as vocational institution in 1932 as a result of public clamor for a university situated in Nigeria, and the Nigerian government Africans. The Yaba College was transferred to Ibadan University College in 1947 when war broke out in 19391; the college had to be moved from its campus.
After the university college of Ibadan was established along Ahmedu Bello University Zaria and university of lfe were established in 1961. The constitutional, administered and organizational structures of most Nigerian universities are essentially the same and they follow the British pattern quite closely. They are organized around facilities and department, except in university of raps where faculties and department, except in university of Lagos where faculties are called school the management of student?s affairs in the country has however remained unsatisfactory and has triggered crisis in Nigeria universities all over the country particularly in 1978.
1.1 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The introduction of new methods in education organization, administration and content has made the objectives of modern education in Nigeria unclear largely owing to the conflict between the metropolitan idea of education and endogamous concept of education.
In some of our universities, the dissidenece syllabuses and curricular are skill Antigua red and the teachers sometimes do not seem to be aware oriented.
?Student crisis have been very circular in the Nigeria universities. This has been as a result of the administration and management of student affairs (Kasper 1960: 20).
Nigeria students on the other hand seen to claim a kind of immunity. They could flout authority and commit excess without thought to the consequence. Nigeria student have once launched operation confrontation which was an act intended to disturb the peace of the public, and a plan to violate the lawful order off the government.
1.2 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The patio ale behind the study of students management relations in Nigeria universities, are as follows
1. To analyze some informant issues in students management relations in the country the difficulties or short coming and suggests solution.
2. To make suitable recommendations on how to hard students affairs in Nigeria universities.
3. To offer some suggestion that may enable the Nigeria universities to serve their communities better and efficiently and economically responsive to Nigerian university to serve communities better and efficiently and economically in the year that was ahead, by becoming more and more responsive to Nigerian needs and aspirations.
4. To suggest how to prevent crisis of all kinds in Nigerian universities.
5. To promote god students relationship.
6. To give suggest on how university administration should carryout university development policy and promote human relations among the university community.
1.3 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The importance of this study was in the fact that it will be helpful to some extent in ensuring peaceful co-existence in our university campuses, and co-operation among university lectures administration and students.
The problems of university management will be identified which is a step towards better university planning and development.
It?s also the intention of this study to promote welfare in the Nigeria universities. This study student?s crisis in the Nigeria universities would will be done following the recommendations given on how to handle student affairs. After this study, student crises in the Nigerian universities would be tackled better.
This study also gives useful suggestions on student relation management, which I believe will help promote human relation in the university communities.
It is the interest of this study to suggest how Nigerian universities would be able to serve the society better and more efficiently.
1.4 SCOPE OF STUDY
This research work which aims investigating the student management relation in universities and making recommendations and suggestion using (a case study of Kogi state university Anyigba)
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
To achieve the objective of this study we will test two hypothesis, these hypothesis are as follows:
1. Ho: The administration and management of student affair of some of our universities subconsciously contributes to the dissatisfaction of the students some vice counselors and other universities authorities, in charge of the universities administration are invisible to the students. Thus the link of communication between the authorities of the universities and the students does not flow hence the problems of student?s unrest in some of the campuses.
2. Hi: The student affairs divisions of most Nigeria universities demonstrate a high degree of favoritism, this of often cause student violent demonstration in the universities.
3. Ho: in fact the student?s management relations in our universities are not satisfactory which of cause usually result to social unrest in the campus.
1.6 RESEARCH QUESTION
What are the problem facing the student management relation in university
What are the effects of the student relation in universities?
What are the purposes of university education? And how has the Nigeria university being able to meet their challenges in managing student affairs
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This project work is divided into five chapters; the first chapter introduces to an overview of the study and the specific problem of students relations management in the Nigeria universities. The main of the study is also in this chapter the research hypothesis and method of data collection are in the study and finally relevant concepts were defined. The second chapter comprise of the view of relevant literatures on the project topic and theoretical analysis of the literature. This third section or chapter of the study data with structural project topic and theoretical analysis of the literature. The third section or chapter of the study deals with limitation of the study power and functions of the entity being study which is Kogi state university (K.SU) Anyigba. In the fourth chapters, which is data analysis is the care of the study were all data collected though various method such as interview are presented and analyzed. The final chapter involves the summary of the entire work and some useful recommendation on the problem of two study.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. Education-education: Is not on easily subject defined education its everyday sense could mean the formal training that is given in school and institution that is the acquisition of the ability to read and write and calculate it could also mean the specialized training that is given on school to enable one to acquire skills in certain fields in under Spence, education could mean the training of entire person to enable him not to be able to read and write or to be proficient in a given job but also enable him fit himself for living in a society.
2. Education Research: This may be defined as the processes were by information relevant to the decision involved in the improvement of educational practice is obtained. The aim is usually to collect and organize this information systematically and objectively as possible.
3. Students: The term ?student? in this study refers to regular undergraduates present on the university campus during any academic year. They are pursing course of study for the bachelor degree and are usually classified into senior freshmen sophomore, junior, seniors, this classification is peculiar to American university system.
4. University: Too many definition of university exists in this study few will be given by university we understand higher educational establishment to which access is available for people with computed secondary education and which gives a term a training of not less than three years as rule from four to five years. University can be portrayed as a community of scholar autonomous and independent, more foremost pensiveness is to discover new knowledge and fact as the repository of old one (Jasper.K. 1960:49). A university can also be defined as an autonomous institution outside the general control and superior of the various ministerial of education.
They receive their financial support from the government but are free to determine academic polices and modern university is supposed to press all the following characteristic features.
?A teaching process into content and method based on the current results of scientific research and with a permanent renovation of circular and method of training.
An organic combination of institution and scientific research work which supplemented and enrich each others. This provides for truly creature atmosphere at the university and inspires students to seek acquire and apply knowledge this is extremely important in the modern world. A sizeable volume of research work a combination of many different branches and fields to study felicitates the execution of complex research projects especially at the meeting point of different sciences.
Trading of specialist art graduate level for research and development for teaching at higher educational institution and for management and other portions require education training at a higher proportion of graduate students.
A leading role in the preparation of text books and other institutional materials for the whole system of higher education
A leading role on renewing and informing the qualification of specialist in different branches the economy, science and culture including the whole system of higher education. An increasing volume of activities necessary for maintenance and running of teaching process and research work.
Generally, a university is a school but a very special sort.
5. University College: A sub division of a university that is composed of a group of such college e.g. an overseas institution in special relationship with a university and preparing the student for degree during a transition period before it become a university.
6. Senate: Composed largely of heads of department with some other representation, this badly of which the vice chancellor is the officious chairman, is the chief academic body through subjected to the power of the council it approves and co-coordinated the work of faculties makes recommendations for the teaching and discipline of the undergraduates.
7. Council: Generally having a mixed lay and academics membership of from thirty to forty persons this body administered in the finances of the university its confirms the recommendation of the senate appointments usually but not invariably its formal approval is necessary for academic regulation proposed by the senate and in most university generally in consults with the senate appoints the vice chancellor
8. Faculties: A group of discipline usually organized as an administrative mode e.g. faculty of administrative science, art medicine, engineering etc.
9. Department: A single subject discipline or sometime adjust discipline e.g. physics and biochemistry
10. Vice Chancellor: The academic head of a university and the chairman of the senate.
11. Chancellor: A distinguished by man who is titular symbolic and formal head of a university.
12. Dean: The professional head of a faculty and of its faculty board.
13. Management: There are probably as many definition of management as there are books on the subject many of definitions are relatively concise and simplistic.
In this study is however defined as set of activities including decision making organizing. Leading and controlling directed at an organizational goals in an efficient and effective manner.