1.1 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
Integrated documentation and knowledge based computerized services in information system is a tremendous means to help health professionals in their daily practice and to improve its quality.
Effort is continuously being made in designing and developing economical and reliable database system to satisfy a computerized long term surveillance record of HIV/AIDS patient system. This project is about the design and develop a computerized long term surveillance record of HIV/AIDS patient system and shows how a patient can be put under surveillance and monitored.
The system will store patients’ records, drug inventory and dispensation as well as other relevant clinical information. The system will be used by the staff doctor, nurses, clerks, consultants, and other relevant authorities as the demand may be within the hospital. It will process data speedily and accurately, provide information when and where required.
The database system will be used to store data, produce reports and handle management enquires. In hospitals that are made up of doctors, nurses, patient and other personnel staff, an Information system is required to keep track of the day to day transaction of the hospital and to improve the communication skills. Also this system will help in highlighting risk/complex patients for consultant input alert of DNA; easily identify all patient taking certain medications; monitor frequency of major complication example peptic ulcer, check for known drug interaction; improve evidence based practice, record questions in clinic for later response from the team when not sure of correct reply.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Although better surveillance data are needed, there is a wealth of data currently that has, unfortunately, not been translated into action. It is important that as HIV surveillance improves to keep in mind the interface between data and policy, particularly prevention policy, and the obligation to use fully the data collected.
1.3 AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The primary aim of this project is to design and develop a computerized long term surveillance record of HIV/AIDS patient system, which will achieve the following:
- Improve efficiency and the communication skill in a clinic/hospital.
- Keep proper patient’s records, drug inventory, dispensing and efficiency of drug dispensed.
- To acquire practical experience in the design and development of a computer modeling system and other related software.
1.4 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
As a result of the nature of the research undertaken the following sequence was followed
- Problem identification
- Design models
- Coding and debugging
1.5 DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Antibodies: a blood protein produced by the body in response to and counteracting an antigen.
- History file: This is a master file that contains data antenatal form. E.g. Patients’ names, address, medical histories, diagnosis, sex, age.
- Surveillance: close observation, especially of a patient or victim.
- Serological: the scientific study or diagnostic of blood serum.
- HIV-human immune virus
- AIDS-acquired immune deficiency syndrome
- PATIENT: A person receiving treatment
- RECORDS: Permanent account kept for evidence or information.
- VIRUS: A minute organism which can cause disease
- DATA: is a collection of related files with different entities.