The impact of communication Skills on the efficiency of an organization
1.1 Background of The Study
The history of communication dates back to the earliest signs of care men, when they used symbols, paintings, and writings to communicate with one another communication can range from very subtle process of exchange to full conversations and mass communication. Human communication was revolutionized with speech perhaps 200,000 years ago symbols were developed about 30, 000 years ago and writing about 7, 000 years, communication can be defined in the following was: as the process of conveying information from a sender to a receiver with the use of a medium in which the communicated information is understood the same way by both sender and receiver.
It can be defined in the context of an organization as the process of transmitting information ideas, ideas, thoughts, opinions and plans between various parts of an organization.
The impact of communication is an organization cannot be discussed without to trace back to the historical background of organizational communication. The field traces its lineage through business information business communication and early mass communication studies published in the 1930?s, until then organizational communication as a discipline consisted of a few professor within speech department who had particular interest in speaking and writing in business settings.
In the 1950?s organizational communication largely on the role of communication in improving organizational life and organizational output the 1980?s the field turned away from a business concerned more with the constitute role of communication in organizing. After some experiments that was conducted by some scholars it was concluded that the structure of communication within an organization will have a significant influence on the accuracy of discussion the speed with which they can be reached and the satisfaction of the people involved.
In an organization such as Nigeria Breweries, Ibadan the modes of communication approach are formal and informal. Informational communication generally is associated with interpersonal horizontal communication, this form or communication was primarily seen as a potential hindrance to effective organizational performance but this is no longer the case as informal communication has become more important to ensuring the effective conduct of work in modern organization. Formal communication which is also known as downward communicate is used by the top levels management to communicate to the lower level. This is used to important policies guidelines etc.
1.2 Objectives of The Study
This research is aimed at helping the organization know of the importance of effective communication or the impact of communication Skills on the efficiency of an organization.
In the context of this study the objectives of this study would include the following:
1. It helps the organization creates a mutual understanding environment between the management and employees
2. To know if the management of the organization employees understand the term ?Impact of Communication Skills on the efficiency of an organization.
3. To know its contribution to the overall performance of the organization
4. To know the barriers or impediments to communication in Nigeria Breweries, Ibadan.
5. To suggest possible solutions to this problems
Other organization would also see the benefits of this study and hence will make them appreciate the impact of communication in an organization its benefits.
Finally, this study would serve as a frame of reference for students and researchers of related fields who may conduct similar enquires into this topic.
1.3 Statement of The Problem
Organization cannot effectively operate without communication. Communication which is one of the life sources of an organization is very necessary in an organization because without it people cannot interact with each other. For example if the employees in an organization would not know the organizations objectives, they would not strive to achieve the organization?s objectives. The following would also ensure as a result of problems in the communication structure of an organization.
i. The manger would not be able to inform employed of changes.
ii. The managers would not be able to train their worker reports so the worker not poses the skill they need to carry out their jobs.
iii. The employee in the organization would not know what their roles and responsibilities were so they would not be able to carry out their daily tasks and duties
iv. There would be dissatisfied customer?s at a result of poor customer?s service
v. The organization would not be aware of their computers activities.
1.4 Research Questions
1. Is communication in an organization a necessary instrument for organizational goal attainment?
2. Are the communication modes and principles clearly understood and implemented by the management of Nigeria Breweries, Ibadan?
3. Can effective communication exist in every organization?
4. Is communication the backbone in an organization?
5. Are communication modes and principle whole somely applied or implemented in Nigeria Breweries, Ibadan?
1.5 Significance of Study
The significance of the research study are as follows:
i. It provides realistic solutions to the problems or impediments to the development of communication skills on the efficiency in Nigeria Breweries, Ibadan.
ii. It exposes the numerous problems or impediments to the development of communication skills in an organization.
iii. It exposes the level of communication in an organization
iv. Since the study exposes the level of communication development in Nigeria Breweries, Ibadan other organization are challenged.
v. It will serve as a guide to further research study
1.6 Scope of The Study
The study ?the impact of communication Skills on the efficiency of an organization? in which Nigeria Breweries, Ibadan is a case study area such as communication historical background measuring of communication, principles, introduction development of communication skills in Nigeria Breweries, Ibadan, types / modes of communication in an organization (Nigeria Breweries, Ibadan state impediments or barrier to communication in Nigeria Breweries, Ibadan, possible solutions to the barriers.
1.7 Operational Definition of Terms
Some of the terms used in this work are listed and defined below:
1. Attainment: To succeed in accomplishing an aim
2. Barrier: An obstacle that prevents communication, movement or access.
3. Communication: The process of conveying information from a sender to a receiver with the use of a medium in which the communicated information is clearly understand the same way by both sender and receiver.
4. Developments: This is the growth of something so that it becomes advances and stronger
5. Effective: Producing a desired or intended result
6. Impact: A marked effect or influence
7. Impediments: those things that cause hindrance or obstruction.
8. Organization: An organized group of people with a particular purpose such as business.
- Store Name: Brilliantng
- Vendor: admin
- No ratings found yet!