FIVE STAR HOTEL IN ENUGU STATE NIGERIA
This research is on five star hotel in Enugu state Nigeria. This project topic has it genesis in my desire to do an intensive, demanding, but rewarding topic for the thesis project since Enugu state doesn’t have any existing five –star hotel. The emergency of Governor Sullivan chime as the executive is another catalyst for the project. From 2007 till date his government has brought a face life for the state as well as an attendant influx of personnel for both business and state affairs, hence such a will solve the problem of inadequate hotel accommodation, boast potentials for the state and provide an international business connection centre for both local and foreign businessmen. This project topic will meet up with the following, objective such as: assessing the development of hotel industry in Enugu state in particular and Nigeria in general, determining the socio-economic implications of hotel development in Enugu state, it should be capable of catering for national and international gust in their diversity of needs, food, lodging service and recreation, it should also strive to project the rich cultural heritage of Enugu state. In order to achieve these objectives I had to embark upon proper research procedures which are mainly the use of deductive analysis. Some of the procedures include site/field visit, use of semi – standardized interview, literature reviews, questionnaire, face-to-face interviews, consultations from text books, journals and internet facilities. However diligent use of collected. Not minding the time constraint, the researcher was able to complete his work.
The main body of this thesis has six chapters were the following were discussed in details: Hotel Industry case study (Design criteria), principles of Hotel Design, A form of hotel classification, the project itself, and also the design influence having done this a detailed analysis of the project site is carried out. An in depth of study was made to ensure the genuineness of information provided.
1.0 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
STATEMENT OF ARCHITECTURAL PROBLEMS.
A hotel can be said to wear two faces. The paying customer sees only the “front of the complex” and this must be all he desires- a wish fulfillment, an ago blinder, a status symbol and the promise of great delight.
The “back of the hotel complex “is all that makes things happen. These include the kitchens, stores, service, etc. this area must be laid out with two paramount objectives: control and efficiency. Control is important because pilfering is a real danger while inefficiency results in time wastage and reduction in productivity.
When a guest enters the hotel lobby, he should be over whelmed by a feeling of serenity or enchantment or revulsion, – but never confusion. The registration desk for instance and the elevators should be immediately apparent. The main administrative area usually backs up to the desk. The restaurants, bars and other such spaces should be either visible from or well indicated in the lobby area.,
- The exploitation of the site configuration and characteristics in the location of facilities.
- Circulation (vertical and horizontal), Ie. The problem created by the different directional movements.
- The architecture of the proposed hotel complex must be attractive.
- The design elements must inspire and evoke feelings among the guests.
- The proper grouping and organization of functions in the whole site to arid intrusive noise.
- Provision of adequate parking facilities for both the staff and other users.
1.2 THE PROJECT AIMS
The aim of this project is to produce a design proposal for a five-star hotel development at Emene, Enugu state. Also to attract foreign and local investors to establish part of their business in the state capital (Enugu) and Nigeria as a whole
1.3 THE PROJECT OBJECTIVE
The research will pursue the following objective:
- Assessing the development of the hotel industry in Enugu state in particular and Nigeria in general.
- Determining the socio- economic implications of hotel development in Enugu state.
- Designing a hotel capable of catering for national and international guests in their diversity of needs, food, lodging, services, recreation, etc.
- It should be capable of housing meetings, exhibitions, seminars, connections or business transactions and should meet the internationally accepted standard for five star hotels as much as possible.
- It should strive to project the rich cultural heritage of Enugu state in particular and the Nigeria in general.
- It should solve inadequacy of accommodation supply, since newly created state capitals and increasingly short of accommodation in hotel services.
- It should be able to accommodate those people on small or big business trips with informed taste, who do not like the hustle and bustle of the city center, but rather prefer the reserved atmosphere of a hotel and more freedom from the congested city environment, for instance those on relaxing weekend which may also need a relaxing atmosphere like a hotel.
It should not only help to make the economy of the state grow but also will add as a tourist attraction to the capital city of Enugu and many other factors that cannot be exhausted in this synopsis .
1.4 THE PROJECT MOTIVATION
This project topic has it genesis in my desire to do an intensive, demanding, but rewarding topic for the thesis project.
The emergence of Governor Sullivan Chime as the executive governor of the state from 2007 has brought a face-lift for the state as well as an attendant influx of personnel for both business and state affairs mere catalyst for this project. Such projects will thus solve this problem of inadequate hotel accommodation, boost potentials for the state and provide an international business convection centre for both local and foreign businessmen. It is expected that the commercial cities of Enugu and neighboring Abia will boost its patronage since there is no existing five star hotel in Enugu.
1.5 THE PROJECT SCOPE
This thesis report looks at the universal principles of hotel design and uses this as a foundation for the design of a five-star hotel for Enugu state. The study and analysis of local and international hotels were made and these helped me see the effect of theoretical design principles of life projects.
The project shall be a five- star hotel of international standard. The hotel shall have about 250-300 bedrooms with a high proportion of double bedded guest rooms together with interconnecting suites. The hotel shall be capable of catering for international and national guests in their diversity of needs.
Limitations encountered in the course of the study of this research include:
- Paucity of material on the chosen thesis topic.
- The problem of procuring the government station layout plan at Enugu the capital.
- Transportation and the fee to procure the plan from the plan office.
- The unco-operative attitude of some of the hotel management visited in taking of interior and exterior photographs of their hotel facilities.
- Bad weather conditions an some certain days of visit which did not make for a very good photograph.
- Time factor was also a serious obstacle. The time limit set for the research and preparation of such a complex text not enough for all that needed to be done.
However, diligent use has been made of the available information and collected data. Not minding the time constraint, the researcher was able to complete this work.
1.6 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
The research procedure in this thesis project is mainly deduction analysis- ie, it involved collection of data from the various sources, that are deemed relevant to give me the information needed in this thesis project. Some of these procedures are as follows.
Site \field visits and observation were used directly in matters concerning the analysis of the project site. Photographs were taken in this aspect so as to obtain documented site information that was needed.
The use of semi-standardized interview surveys as was adopted, whereby schedules of questions were presented to respondents. This was used particularly to determine guest profile characteristics and references. Oral interviews we applied also, to obtain necessary information on an informal basis.
Literature review: this involved mostly using the library in getting other information that will be of relevance to the thesis project. Some published and unpublished work was consulted so as to get the necessary data needed for this work.
In order to produce a befitting and sustainable design for the five star hotel, researches were conducted by the use of questionnaires, face-to-face interview. Visiting of similar existing building and consultations from textbooks, journals and internet facilities.
- Store Name: Brilliantng
- Vendor: Brilliantng
- No ratings found yet!